What is Garage Door Maintenance?
Garage door maintenance involves periodically checking your garage door system for wear and tear, as well as lubricating, tightening, and testing parts. These are many of the steps involved in a garage door inspection:
- Checking torsion spring tension and balance
- Checking that cables are not worn or stretched
- Checking roller health
- Checking that hinges are operating properly
- Checking the bottom seal for wear or cracking
- Checking for cracking or stress on steel garage doors
- Checking for rot and cracking on wood garage doors
- Checking the force and limits of the garage door opener
- Checking tracks for stress or bends
- Tightening screws on hinges and struts
- Checking bearing plates for wear
- Applying spray lube to hinges, rollers, springs, and bearing plates
- Applying grease to the motor rail for smooth operation
- Checking remotes, wall buttons, safety sensors, and keypads
If a garage door professional notices any issues with your garage door, opener, or parts during the inspection, they can recommend repair or replacement options that will extend the lifespan of your overhead door. Garage door tune-ups also give you a smoother, quieter garage door operation, which is ideal if you have a room above or beside the garage.
Benefits of Regular Garage Door Maintenance
Detect Minor Issues Before They Become Major Ones
Scheduling an annual–or even biannual–garage door inspection helps identify any minor issues with your garage door system before they have the opportunity to turn into major ones. For example, discovering wear or rusting on a spring and having an immediate replacement will prevent the spring from breaking suddenly and leaving you trapped in the garage.
Maximize Your Garage Door System’s Lifespan
A well-maintained garage door can last 10-15 years more than one that is not taken care of. Annual lubrication, tightening, and inspections keep your garage door system in the best shape possible, allowing you to enjoy your garage door for longer before needing replacement.
Ensure the Safety of Your Family
Garage doors are heavy moving objects, and their parts maintain high tension to keep everything in place. If garage door parts break or malfunction suddenly, it makes the garage a potentially dangerous place for your family. Maintaining your garage door parts helps keep everything in the best shape and prevents emergency repairs that could become a safety issue.
Help Prevent a Garage Door Emergency
If your garage door parts fail suddenly, you will be left trapped in the garage or with your door standing open overnight. To prevent garage door emergencies like this, we recommend scheduling annual garage door tune-ups to keep your garage door at its best functionality.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should you schedule garage door maintenance?
We recommend scheduling garage door maintenance at least once a year, but preferably twice a year after your garage door system hits the 10-15 year mark.
What garage door maintenance can I do on my own?
You can take a few DIY maintenance steps if you want to help keep your garage door system in the best shape between maintenance appointments.
- Consistently monitor your garage door’s operation. Does it make loud grinding or squeaking noises? Does it move slowly? Does it come up at a slight angle? These are issues to look out for that might indicate you need repairs.
- Test your garage door safety sensors every few months by waving a broom under the door as it starts to close. If the door doesn’t automatically reverse, there is an issue with your safety sensors that should be addressed.
- Clean the exterior of your garage door with a mild detergent and water. This will help your garage door surface last longer and improve the look of your home.
- Replace the light bulb in your garage door opener and the batteries in your remote or keypad regularly.
What time of year should I schedule a garage door tune-up?
We recommend scheduling your garage door tune-up in the spring or fall to get ahead of especially hot and cold weather. If you only have an inspection once a year, schedule it for the fall because cold weather can be hard on metal garage door parts, leading to sudden breaks and emergency repairs.
Need Garage Door Maintenance in the Metro Phoenix Area?
Garage door maintenance is pivotal to keeping your garage door system in the best shape possible. An annual garage door tune-up gives you peace of mind that your garage door system is equipped to last for a long time!
If you’re ready to schedule a garage door maintenance appointment in the Metro Phoenix area, Iconic Garage Door Services would love to help! We offer a wide range of garage door services to help homeowners keep their garage door systems in great shape. Contact us today to book your appointment!